By Libby @ ditchthecarbs.com
Low carb focaccia bread is incredibly versatile. Bake it, toast it, make it into rolls, roll it thin to be a panini or even a pizza base ……
Wheat free, gluten free, sugar free low carb focaccia bread. I don’t usually look for a bread substitute as that is the thing we are all trying to give up, but if you do fancy one, or need to take something to a barbecue, then it’s good to have an alternative available.
PREP TIME 15 mins
COOK TIME 30 mins
TOTAL TIME 45 mins
Recipe type: Baking
Cuisine: Low Carb
– ½ cup coconut flour
– 5 tbs psyllium husk
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp Himalayan salt
– 4 eggs
– 1 cup boiling water
– Place the coconut flour, psyllium husks, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
– Add the eggs and mix. The mixture will be a very firm ‘play-dough’ like consistency so don’t work it too hard at this point.
– Add the cup of boiling water and mix until thoroughly combined.
– Form into a focaccia shape and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts through the dough, sprinkle with plenty of salt, rosemary and place olives on top of the dough.
– Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes. It is cooked when the centre is no longer ‘spongy’.
– Serve hot with butter, cold with cheese, avocado slices, tomatoes, labna, etc.
* To ensure you avoid any ‘eggy’ taste, add plenty of flavours such as rosemary, garlic, salt etc.
* Psyllium husk 100% fibre and once added to water, swell and thicken. This property is used to thicken foods, added to gluten-free baking where it binds moisture and help make breads less crumbly, and as a laxative. It can help maintain a healthy digestive tract, help maintain gut flora, and remove toxins. Add some to your coconut muesli to increase fibre intake. Always drink plenty of fluids when taking psyllium, as the husks will swell and absorb liquids from your gut as it transits through.
Serving size: Whole focaccia Calories: 528 Fat: 26g Carbohydrates: 58g Sugar: 5.9gFibre: 42g Protein: 31g
•.¸¸.•´ •*SHARE this with your FRIENDS ¸¸.•*´¯`
Friend me on Facebook, I am always posting AWESOME stuff!: